Monday, September 15

Joe's Bakery - Old School Classic

Going to Joe's Bakery on East 7th Street is must if you like the classic taste of good Mexican food. It's been one of my favorite joints since I moved here like more than 10 years ago. So after our "mandatory" walk, Ixchel (la wifa) was in the mood for Joe's and man, did I get excited! Remember, I married a veggie head so this was a very good super sorpresa!

The place is great. It's families and neighbors and newbies all mixed up. It's also good to be in joint where "everybody knows your name" or most people are Mexican (that's about 95%, the other 5% is a mix of whitey whitertons, blacks y una hondureña). Also good is the jukebox. They got everything (and they played it) from Stevie B (the King of Freestyle!) to Selena to Freddie Fender to El Chente. Now that's musica con saborrrrr!

And I just can't help myself. Check out a classic by el hombre mas hombre aka El Chente aka Vicente Fernandez...



Okay, back to Joe's. So the best thing about this place is......

The Bacon. Man, they good! It's not just regular ole bacon in yo mouth. It has a nice thickness to it and they batter it as well. I just gotta say, they gots the best bacon in town. Prove me wrong!

They have a pretty good green salsa. Has a bit of a kick. Although it used to be hotter back in the day but still good. We ordered tacos, of course. I had a chorizo con huevo and my almost all time fave, bean and cheese with bacon. I was definitely into both tacos but the chorizo one was just okay. They did have it prepared from the morning and I like mine freshly mixed together. Ixchel had the migas taco con todo pero the todo didn't include tomatoes and that was a bit disappointing but not enough to keep us away. We still enjoy Joe's, it's a great place, the experience is down home and the food is good (give or take a couple of misses). So next time your in the "new downtown" (vomit here) or East Austin, check out Joe's Bakery.


Joe's Bakery & Mexican Food - 4 Stars
2305 E 7th St
Austin, TX 78702
(512) 472-0017

El Mundo de Mando

5 comments:

Lee said...

Man, I haven't been to Joe's in years, but I used to love that place when I lived on the East Side. Talk about a down-home experience. I worry that places like it will be endangered as East Austin continues to transform. Perhaps I'd better get back over there for a good breakfast before it's gone.

James said...

I stop and get some tacos here and there, they are normally pretty darn tasty. I will definitely get the Beans and cheese with Bacon next time.
I would suggest getting some of totally awesome,IMO best in town, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies!!! I love them soo...

James said...

I stop and get some tacos here and there, they are normally pretty darn tasty. I will definitely get the Beans and cheese with Bacon next time.
I would suggest getting some of totally awesome,IMO best in town, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies!!! I love them soo...

Terry Woodroffe said...

Joe's is number one in the hood, natch, CITY, for menudo. They have pretty good barbacoa, tambien. My favorite taco here is the migas con todo. Beats anyplace I've tried.

And I'm no taco journalist mind you, but I've eaten a LOT of freakin' migas.

Lee said...

I've only tried menudo once, but it was at Joe's and it was great. Saved me from a raging hangover. (The tortilla soup at La Casita on Anderson is also a magnificent hangover cure.) So I second what my friend Terry said.