Thursday, June 28

'Best of' Taco Trucks- Final Round - Torchy's Tacos


Torchy's Tacos - photo by John Anderson

Having visited the first three of four trucks awarded 'best taco truck' by the Chronicle with singularly happy results, we are pleased to be able to share our opinions on the fourth truck, Torchy's.

Torchy's is located just south of Barton Springs Road on S. 1st st, and features a delightful creekside patio where you may enjoy your tacos. The eating area is far and away the best of all the taco trucks we visited. The relatively swanky eating area is the first clue that this is not your normal taco truck.
'Trailerpark' Tacos

Torchy's offers a sort of quirky, Austinized experience that is a far cry from the authentic taco authority evinced by the other contenders for the taco truck crown. That said, it is far from bad. The taco creations are unusual and interesting, the ingredients are high quality, and everything tasted quite good.

I had a 'Trailerpark' taco, which featured fried chicken, hatch green chiles and pico de gallo, and I opted to have it 'trashy' with chile con queso replacing the lettuce. Nice. It was quite a yummy taco, but not the kind of thing I find myself thinking about when I'm craving tacos. Also, two tacos and a jarritos set your humble Cornbiter back about 10 bucks. Ouch, babe.

All in all, while Torchy's lacks a certain authentic taco gravitas, it's fresh and creative items will find many fans in a town like Austin.

Barbacoa & Pork Tacos

Torchy's Tacos - 3 stars - Cornbiter Deluxe
1207 S. 1st St
512.366.0537
M-F 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Sat-Sun 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

All good points, but you didn't mention the fact that Torchy's has great fajita tacos and their green chili pork taco is incredible. Additionally, ou need to talk about the salsa - critical to the taco stand. Torchy's makes a great verde and red salsa. Lastly their guac and queso kick serious ass.

I must confess that I'm a fan, so these aren't the most objective comments that you'll read...

Thanks for the review.

Shannon said...

I just started working around the corner from Torchy's last week. I had never been before this past Tuesday. I went everyday after. The steak fajita taco with the verde salsa is probably my new favorite thing in the world.

Cornbiter Deluxe said...

Thanks for the comments! Obviously, taco feelings are a subjective thing, so it's nice to get some additional commentary on any of our reviews.

Since we can't order every item on the menu, it's also good to have y'all chiming in on stuff we didn't eat.

I must say, though, that I failed to remark on the salsa because I found it unremarkable.

Tomato, To-mah-toe

MLB said...

I love Torchy's, and I am fortunate to live only 2 blocks away. I was there yesterday and I got the fried avocado taco (hold the fry). I love this taco, but it I have to add just a touch of salt every time.

Any news on what is going in next door (where Davine Foods lasted a whole of 2 weeks?)

ben said...

I think davine moved to Oltorf and S. Lamar

Laura McKissack said...

I love the freshness and unique options--like you said, it's definitely an Austin joint. You are right about the prices though, and the wait on a Saturday morning at hipster hangover hour can be as much as half an hour for two tacos. Still, if the weather is nice you can space out in the sun or even by the fire pit(!), and this is one of my favorite Saturday morning stops. I love the Diablo salsa--traffic cone orange habanero salsa and it's super hot!

Have you ever tried the tofu scramble at Bouldin Creek? Now that's unique, and also a favorite stop of mine. A big vegetarian, Mexican-ish breakfast with yummy scrambled tofu and an Independence brew is a beautiful thing for a Saturday "brunch."

Anonymous said...

Obviously, different strokes for different folks, but to my taste buds, there is no better taco in town (any town?) better than Torchy's fajita taco with corn tortilla!!

Unknown said...

While I agree with the review, it misses the mark in one BIG way: Torchy's signature taco was not reviewed, the green chile pork taco. I come to Torchy's solely for those tacos, and they are off the chart awesome.

Hino Trucks said...

Gotta love the fajita tacos and the hot sauce, I am drooling even thinking about them.

Zack said...

Guess I've gotta be the jerk here. I strongly feel that Torchy's are the silver medal winner for The Taco Problem, meaning the way all the white folks in Austin go nuts for sub-par Mexican food. While they're not nearly as grim-tasting as The World's Worst Mexican Food at Guero's, Torchy's has a long way to go before they can claim to provide a legitimate taco experience.

Cornbiter Deluxe was very diplomatic in his review, but I'll just say it: both the taste and the price at Torchy's make it clear that their dishes are made with the condo-dwelling Caucasian Austinite in mind.

Also, am I the only one who's deeply offended by their stupid, stupid "SHOW ME YOUR TACO" bumper stickers? Jeeeeeezus. Those alone made me and a few other pals vow to never eat there again.

Anonymous said...

Torchy's Tacos was one of the first places I went to when I moved down here, and I have yet to ever regret it. I personally am a fan of the Trailer Park location, since it is closer to me.

All my friends swear by the Avocado taco. Seriously, it's a must try for first time visitors.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't think Torchy's should have received 3 stars. It's much better than that in my opinion. It's definitely a twist on ordinary tacos but Torchy's wasn't made to be ordinary. These are city tacos and damn good at that. I eat Torchy's at least twice a week. I can't say that about any of my other favorite places to eat. Take it from me TORCHY'S IS THE BEST!