Thursday, April 20

Taqueria Los Altos



Taquria los Altos is a Jalisco Style Taqueria on the frontage road of IH35 near 38th st. The staff is friendly and attentive and the roomy tables are comfy. It can get pretty hot in there during the summer, so try to sit near the big ass window unit.

Los Altos is a few blocks from my house, and thus is my main taqueria. When you eat as many tacos as your humble Cornbiter, your 'local' becomes a home away from home. The staff at Los Altos never fails to give me a welcoming smile of recognition and always bring extra salsa before I have to ask.

A Fajita Tostada represents alongside his pal, a Fajita Taco. ¡Viva La Raza!

If you've seen the menu at one Jalisco style taqueria, you've pretty much seen them all. Los Altos offers all the standard tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tortas and tostadas that make Jalisco style food such a joy.

On top of the standards, Los Altos adds a few 'tex-mex' style dishes, including a crispy taco plate and a tex-mex style enchilada plate. I've tried them both and can advise you to avoid them. If you want tex-mex, there are plenty of places to go. You're at Los Altos for the Jalisco style!

On the bev. front, Los Altos serves beer, has a wide variety of jarritos available and makes a decent glass of iced tea. They do not have horchata or aquas frescas.

A Fajita Burrito gets along with a Taco Al Pastor. Harmoniousness meets deliciousness.

The general quality of the food at Los Altos is good, and they are fairly consistent. When choosing ingredients for your taco/burrito/tostada/torta, you should start with the fajita. I've never been dissapointed with it.

The al pastor, on the other hand, is less consistent. Sometimes I'm very pleased, and sometimes I'm left unsatisfied. I do not order chicken at Jalisco style taquerias.

On the day Jarod and I took these photos, the al pastor was crispy, tender and delicious, the fajitas were terrific, and we had a great meal.

4 stars. -Cornbiter Deluxe
Photo by Joel Simon

Taqueria Los Altos
3301 N. Interstate 35
Austin, TX 78722
(512) 236-1219

7 comments:

Chris said...

Do they have any vegetarian dishes?

Jneece said...

They do,as with most Taquerias they have avacado or beans as a meat option. I would assume that the refried beans have lard in them, and the black beans and borracho beans probably have chicken stock in them.

Anonymous said...

los altos does indeed have horchata

Flapjacks said...

the lengua is off the hook. i love this place.

Steven Noreyko said...

Curious about this quote "I do not order chicken at Jalisco style taquerias."

Why not?

Is there something I should know?

Cornbiter Deluxe said...

Steven,

It has been my experience that Jalisco Style places tend to have an equal opportunity approach to which bits of chicken they'll put into their food. That means bones and gristly bits are a common thing. I can't abide chicken with bones and gristle.

Steven Noreyko said...

Yup - completely understood.

I've encountered that a few times. I opt for chicken fajita if they have it. Safer that way. :)